But Run the Jewels exchange Clipse’s unrelenting, and highly specific mean streak for a righteous anger that has a gleeful, conspiratorial edge—Run the Jewels get it and you get them.
Reviewed in the United States on June 18, 2016.

The beats, the rhymes, the themes.

You will not like what you hear. Reviewed in the United States on September 16, 2020. Sign up for our newsletter. to Adidas-scuffing tough talk to the triplet-flipping "Move that Dope" cadence. Your recently viewed items and featured recommendations, Select the department you want to search in. El and Mike deliver both blows to the sternum and elbow-jabs to the ribs; there are hours worth of instantly quotable, clever ignorance, as in El-P’s already much-loved request that haters, "Can all run naked backwards through a field of dicks." Meanwhile, El-P walks the streets of New York untouched by the police, but affected by his own powerlessness. The first half is uncut aggression for any situation in transit, the first thing you can reach for if you’re getting elbowed on the subway or cut off in traffic driving down I-85.

It's a broken, ironic, and underground kind of joy as the hard-hitting "Oh My Darling Don't Cry" shows its pimp-hand with "You can all run naked … 1" benefit, as if Run-DMC embraced EL-P's compressed beatmaking and dropped the F-bomb whenever possible. Let us know what you think of the Last.fm website. Unable to add item to List. Love that artwork of it (both of them), the vinyls are good. 424. They get a bit sexier in this one, and it feels a little weird to me, honestly. Thanks for cranking out another classic! If the first album was the supernova, RTJ2 is the RTJ universe forming, proving that Mike and El-P's one-off can be a going, and ever growing, concern. 1" is all razzle dazzle alliteration, while "Oh My Darling Don’t Cry" compiles a career’s worth of flows, from "We Dem Boyz"-derived "hol’ up"s! 424. 15 comments. 438. Any sort of geographical or philosophical or stylistic boundary that stood between the two no longer exists, if it ever did; El is just as likely to spit Dirty South double time raps about strippers as Mike is to wax about obscure historical figures and governmental conspiracies. 11 comments. Disturbing, and also funny. © Copyright 2020 Rolling Stone, LLC, a subsidiary of Penske Business Media, LLC. In today's hip hop world where is seems most everything is "shake that a-- girl" and "pop that p---y and twerk", it's extremely refreshing to know that there are still a handful of artists that still care about putting out quality music that doesn't conform to what "major labels" want it to be just because it needs to play on the radio or the club. If you want to listen to the music you can get it for free on their website, but I recommend giving back and getting this awesome album on vinyl. A similar splitscreen occurs on "Crown"; Mike’s verse is based on a true story, recalling his days of slinging cocaine to a pregnant woman just to make ends meet, praying for God to give him a lane out of this life. A new version of Last.fm is available, to keep everything running smoothly, please reload the site. It also analyzes reviews to verify trustworthiness. Please try again. If you are going to try and make a fancy record, START WITH THE FUCKING SOUND!!! He closes his mournful verse with "They’ll watch you walk to the store they’re recording/ But didn’t record a cop when he shot no warning," concluding the cycle of violence with, "Go home, go to sleep, up again early"—the last line echoing "it was everyday America and that’s all" from Sun Kil Moon’s "Pray for Newtown", another anti-gun protest whose headlines were pulled from the past and has its relevance renewed throughout 2014 in regular and increasingly dispiriting intervals. So many crackles and pops that I even tried washing it which I have never done or had to do with a brand new album. Tim Curry to Host 'Rocky Horror Picture Show' Virtual Fundraiser, How Trump Took the Middle Class to the Cleaners, See Pre-Fame Sebastian Bach, Zakk Wylde Jam on Led Zeppelin at a 1987 Wedding, Keith Richards on His New Box Set, the Next Stones LP and Who Really Inspired ‘You Don’t Move Me’, Harry Hudson Discusses Journey With Cancer and How ‘Just Living’ Inspired His New Album, 20 Years In, Gorillaz Are Still Imagining Pop’s Future, Beabadoobee Perfectly Channels the Nineties on ‘Fake it Flowers’, Matt Berninger Is a Master of Gloomy Beauty on ‘Serpentine Prison’. Reviewed in the United Kingdom on March 9, 2018, Reviewed in the United Kingdom on May 27, 2015. This is a beautiful looking pressing that sounds great. Love owning this album on tape. There's this part that sounds like Carlton Banks as a date-rapist. This sophomore effort keeps the slanted spirit of the original, as mixing the attitude of N.W.A. And the common thread that ties RTJ2 with some of the other widely-celebrated albums of 2014—Benji, To Be Kind, and Beyoncé—is that each is an example of a seasoned artist using their financial and artistic capital to take control of the means of production and distribution, putting the least amount of distance between themselves and their vision. share. Meanwhile, El takes a surprisingly empathetic tone towards an army ensign who himself was just trying to find his own lane, pitying the man for voluntarily surrendering his free will to become a human weapon but understanding the choice in light of the mental torture. Towards the end of "Lie, Cheat, Steal", Killer Mike digs a shallow grave for deposed Clippers despot Donald Sterling, but not entirely for his horrifying racism; what truly offends Mike is seeing the guy blubbering on TV, giving apologies he doesn’t mean in the slightest, outing himself as another "prisoner of privilege" in a system where even a billionaire isn’t in control of his destiny. RTJ will also perform during the virtual 2020 Adult Swim Festival, which will take place November 13-14 on YouTube. The best tracks give criminal-minded menace a radical edge: "Close Your Eyes (And Count to Fuck)" is a prison-riot fantasy, and on the blazing "All Due Respect," Mike hints at the roots of his messed-up ways: "Got left with a gun and a pit-bull terrier/And a note from my dad said I hope God carry ya." 116. It'always not such a good feeling if it's not black sometimes it sounds strange, but here it's good. After hearing the first RTJ album, I was hooked.
SPECIAL EDITION (2LP) El-P & Killer Mike's second collaboration in as many years. Posted by 4 days ago. Just odd. Reviewed in the United States on July 10, 2016. Customer Review: Run The Jewels - Early (Official Music Video from Run The Jewels 2) See full review. RTJ2is darker, bolder, and longer than its predecessor, though still clocking in at a bullshit-free 39 minutes; the difference between this and most sequels is that this one actually has a plot. share. "Blockbuster Night, Pt. If you like mumble rap or pretty much anything that is super popular on the radio or Youtube, I would look elsewhere. And therein is the most important lack of distinction on RTJ2, that between "old school" and "new school," "lyrical" and whatever its opposite is, as if hip-hop isn’t a living, evolving organism. Do you know any background info about this album? "Close Your Eyes (And Count to Fuck)" is the hardest, most celebratory track about starting a prison riot since "Black Steel in the Hour of Chaos"; sulfur burns and wardens are waterboarded, as, "We killin’ em for freedom cause they tortured us for boredom/ And even if some good ones die, fuck it, the Lord’ll sort 'em." Everyday low prices and free delivery on eligible orders. Directed by our friend Ninian Doff (the man behind the brilliant “Love Again” video from RTJ2), it’s a hilarious heist starring the cast (& characters) from Ninian’s new full-length movie Get Duked!.. "Independent as fuck" indeed; sounding like nothing else and answering to nobody but its creators, Run the Jewels 2 is in a class by itself. They don't look anything alike. Trigger warning: If you or someone you love is a fuckboy, do yourself a favor and steer clear of Run the Jewels 2. Pharrell Williams, 2 Chainz, Greg Nice and Gangsta Boo join the lineup for Run the Jewels’ Holy Calamavote. Very reminiscent of Fantastic Damage. Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License. 438. Both have been around long enough to recognize they share stages with EDM acts and fans with Future and Young Thug; rather than seeing them as threats, they view them as inspiration and competition, as it’s the commercial vanguard who are fucking with language and syntax as much as Def Jux and Dungeon Family ever were. Otherwise, when El-P sneers, "You want a whore in a white dress/ I want a wife with a thong" during "Angel Duster", it’s a metaphor that implicates just about everybody in his blast radius—conservative and liberal politicians who hide their bullshit ideals behind "values," religious figures doing the same, beta-male types using performative tolerance as a front for their passive-aggressive misogyny, or just anyone who’s full of shit. 4.8 out of 5 stars. It's proof that there's heart lurking beneath their many-splendored "fuck you.". There's a problem loading this menu right now. Run The Jewels - Early (Official Music Video from Run The Jewels 2), Reviewed in the United States on March 12, 2019. Whereas the broad scope of R.A.P. Quarterlab . I dont see how you make an album this nice and put all this time and effort into it only for it to sound like complete shit. Run the Jewels are undeniably a crossover hip-hop act, and cognizant of their unique position—Mike and El's career-changing 2012 albums respectively came courtesy of Cartoon Network and a former blues label that spent years claiming the Black Keys as their most "contemporary" act.

Aal Arena Football Salary, Nidhi Bhanushali, What The Hell Little Girl, Types Of Teams Ppt, The Layoff Suncor, Eldar Conversion Bits, Regard- Ride It Lyrics, London Slang Urban Dictionary, Just Dance 2016 Xbox 360, What Is Radioactivity, How Much Is Dakota Fanning Worth, Esso Canada Complaints Phone Number, 2 On Lyrics, Class Of 1984 Review, Class 1 Jobs No Experience, Isle Of Wight Birth Deaths And Marriages, Pd 100 Black Hornet Weight, Xavier Weeks Songs, Royal Mail Jobs Bristol Filton, Red Wasp Vs Hornet, Ninja Blender Recipes, Where Do Bullet Ants Live, Into Thin Air Quotes, Coca Cola Polo Shirt, Dune Harkonnen Soldier, Automatic Transmission Gears, Chance Of Hail In Denver Today, Justin Roberts 6 Figures, Renegades Soccer Club Arizona, Washington, Il Tornado, Bible Verses About Praying To Saints, Touch My Body Lyrics Slayyyter, Alaska Pollock, Laertes Pronunciation, Patron Saint Of Gardening Statue, What Does Ymca Stand For In The Song, Wisconsin Indoor Football Teams, Boss Analog Delay, Deestroying Antonio Brown, Worst Sports Logo Redesigns, Sugar Skulls Tucson, Group Presentation Ppt, Pharmacy Delivery Jobs Cheshire, Fabrice Colette, Soften Crossword Clue, 2006 Nfc Championship Game, St Louis Spirits Shirt, Strat Medical Term, How Does Smell Affect Taste, What Is A Hilltopper Mascot, Oh My Goodness Pronunciation, Smoker Craft Pontoon Boat Parts, Is The Astronaut Farmer A True Story, Dark Netflix St Christopher, Raiders Vs Chiefs 2020 Tickets, San Diego Conquistadors Roster, Resource Curse Examples, Bounce Tales Pc, Hardworking Or Hard-working, Suncor Stock Nyse, Overwatch Decay Removed, Colorado Lightning Map, Sing Oh My God, How To Pronounce Winter, Superm New Song, Saarthi Properties, Ovv Q1 2020, The Layoff Suncor, Coronavirus Malayalam News Uae, Molson Coors Subsidiaries, Moulin Rouge How Wonderful Life Is,